Mark Santos began his long interest in Oriental rugs and art in the 1970’s. He made numerous trips into Iran and Afghanistan during the 1970’s with his trips ending in 1980 due to regional political changes. During those years he was able to travel to the villages to buy and meet with locals gaining a first-hand understanding of the weaving customs, structure and design evolution. When unable to return to the producing countries, he spent two years traveling in Europe and the US, visiting private collections, museums, auctions and dealers, specializing in antique Oriental Rugs, honing his understanding of the art. He studied all the different weaving regions with an emphasis on Persian and Central Asian textiles. In 1984 he opened his first retail Gallery, The Antique Carpet Gallery in Portland, Oregon and has specialized in fine antique Oriental Rugs & Carpets since that time. In 1990 he opened the Santos Gallery to encompass his other areas of antique interests, Fine Art, Estate Items and Antique Books as well as his main passion, Antique Oriental Carpets.
The Santos Gallery specializes in the rare and beautiful, with many one of a kind items. Located in downtown Portland’s hotel and fine shopping district the Gallery offers a large selection of antique Persian, Caucasian, Chinese and tribal rugs. The Gallery handles the best in Estates from the Northwest which includes American and regional northwest oil paintings as well as furniture, porcelains, silver and art from Asia.
Mark Santos is widely acknowledged as an expert on antique Oriental Carpets and the Gallery has a national clientele that relies on it for its outstanding quality of carpets, fair pricing and expert cleaning and restoration services. Your are invited to put this expertise and national clientele to work for you whether you are selling one item or a whole collection. The Santos Gallery will assist you in the proper evaluation of your carpets, fine art or whole estate so that you may receive the highest value for your art.
We are always interested to purchase, sell, appraisal, cleaning, restoration and consign antique paintings, carpets, silver, porcelain, furniture and whole estates.
10 AM to 6 PM Tuesday - Saturday. Appointments are encouraged to assure you individual attention. 503-227-6650
The Santos Gallery also offers a wide range of specialized services that include:
- Purchase of antique paintings, carpets, silver, porcelain, Oriental items, and furniture whether they be individual items, complete collections or entire estates
- Sale of estates by auction or house sale representation
- Search services, for those special but hard to find pieces
- Appraisals for insurance or loss evaluations can be performed in your home or at the Gallery
- Consultations, whether you are managing or building a collection, or just want to furnish your home with fine antiques
- Hand cleaning and restoration of Oriental Rugs, Carpets & European Tapestries
- Cleaning and restoration of fine oil paintings and water colors
Come and visit us at our store in Portland:
521 SW 10th Ave.
Portland, OR 97205